Monday, October 4, 2010

Life Chain 2010

Yesterday was my third time attending Life Chain. I can't believe the small turnout! I remember my first time the blocks were filled. There was a sea of signs.

Having faced an unplanned pregnancy, I understand the importance of getting the message out. I understand both sides of the argument. I understand that yes, it is inconvenient to have a child when you weren't planning on it, but that is the risk you take to live a "free" lifestyle. There are consequences to choices. Just because something is convenient doesn't make it right. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the women who get abortions, or the abortionists, I hate that the innocent suffer. I also hate that some women use abortions as birth control!!

I am so glad that I was raised in a pro-life home. I remember my mom had attended a pro-life event and got a few of those 12 week "feet" pins.

I was living with my dad when I got pregnant and he was adamant that I get an abortion. I am so glad I didn't let him bully me into getting one! I remember all the thoughts that floated through my mind. My mom took me to the Pregnancy Care Centre and we discussed all the options available to me. I decided to raise my son. My boyfriend and I later married and it's been nearly 10 years. Things have not been easy, but we are glad we made the tough choices we made.

I came across this lovely blog today. Abby Johnson was a director at Planned Parenthood and has become a pro-life activist. I listened to her story through a Focus on the Family broadcast. As I was checking out her website I was pleased to see she has a tab for current Planned Parenthood workers. She lovingly reaches out to them and offers the hope she has found.

I also stumbled across this blog through Abby's website. Claire Culwell's mother was pregnant at 13 and her mother dragged her down to an abortion clinic and she had an abortion and found out later that she was still pregnant, she had been carrying twins. Claire survived. Her story is touching and encouraging.

Abortion is not just a women's issue. We can't just keep turning our backs on the issue and hoping it will go away. We have to educate ourselves about what is happening so we don't sound like brainwashed religious fanatics. I am committed to investigating both sides of the argument. You have to know what you are fighting against. On the CCBR's website (* Please note that this site has graphic images of aborted fetuses) they have this quote: "If we can’t face [abortion], we can’t fight it."- Gregg Cunningham. They have a great "Pro-Life Classroom Tab" to help you to give a reasonable explanation for why abortion is wrong.

Well, regardless of how many people attend next year, I know I will be at Life Chain. I am going to stand up for what is right!

No comments:

Post a Comment